I did my first sprint triathlon this past Saturday! It was in Hastings, NE. It was a 500 yard swim, a 9.8 mile bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run. And I did it! YEAH! It may not seem big to some, but it was a nice accomplishment for me. I had a lot of fun doing it and I am anxious to do another one.
We headed over to Hastings (about two hours directly west from here) on Friday afternoon and that evening there was a dinner for the participants and their families. It had been raining on the way over and as we left the dinner that night it was snowing outside! That got me pretty nervous. But we woke up to sunshine--COLD temperatures--but sunshine.
It was very cold! The forecast said 38 degrees with wind chill of 27. The wind was blowing between 20 and 30 miles an hour and gusts were stronger. The first about 3 miles of the bike ride was directly into the wind. That was not a fun part, but after that everything felt great.
Here are some pictures.
This is me starting out on the swim.
Me taking a breath...it looks like I'm waving
me in green heading out on the bike leg
heading out on the run...
video of me coming into the finish...
me crossing the finish line...
and my wonderful hubby rooting for me the whole way. (Loved the sign!)
And I have to give a HUGE shout out to Wayne. He has been such a big support through all of this. He's taken the kids when I wanted to go out for a run or bike ride, we joined the YMCA which he never gets to go to because he's always traveling, I bought new shoes, race clothing, not to mention registration fees and gas to drive over there, and he's never complained or had any hesitation through any of it. And he's always telling me how proud he is of me. It has made the whole thing that much more enjoyable knowing my best friend is right there with me. I love that man more than I can say. Wayne, your the best!
My next one is in June and I'm hoping for a few more through the summer.
*The results just posted if you are interested: http://www.hastingsymca.net/index.php?option=com_staticxt&staticfile=YMCA200805-111037.html